What is Cowboy Action Shooting?
Cowboy Action Shooting is one of the fastest growing shooting sports in the nation. Using guns from the 1800’s along with costumes and an alias, you get to play your favorite Western character while shooting a fast and fun competition. Your character can be based on a historical figure, your favorite Western movie or TV star, or trade of the time, i.e. train engineer, bartender, blacksmith, etc. The shooting is based on stories of the old west, Florida frontier, and movies and TV shows. A match consists of 6 of these stages. You are scored on time, accuracy and shooting the targets in the right sequence. A miss is a 5 second penalty, a procedural (shooting the wrong target) is 10 seconds. The fastest overall time wins. There are many categories based on age and shooting style. This is best explained by visiting the SASS home page.
How do I get started in Cowboy Action Shooting?
1st you need an alias. Your cowboy character name.
2nd is the costuming. Cowboy hat, boots and some western wear. We are pretty liberal on this for beginners so jeans, a long sleeve shirt, Cowboy hat and boots are fine to start.
3rd are the guns used. You need 2 pistols, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun. Pistols must be single action. The rifle can be a lever action or pump (Lightning). Shotguns can be side by side double barrel, 1897 Winchester Pump models or 1897 Lever. There are some exceptions but these are the basics.
Ammunition must be lead only, no jacketed ammunition. Pistol ammunition power must be no less than 400fps and no more than 1000fps. Rifle no more than 1400fps. Shotgun ammo must be lead pellets, number 4 shot or smaller.
Where can I learn more?
Feel free to come out to one of our matches. Cowboys are always willing to make you feel welcome, chances are you can even give a stage a try by using some of our guns. To learn more just click on the links to the Single Action Shooting Society below or call John Di Crisci or George Mann. We will be glad to help you get started in Cowboy Action Shooting.
Cowboy Action Shooting Links
- Single Action Shooting Society Home Page - www.sassnet.com
- About SASS - http://www.sassnet.com/About-What-is-SASS-001A.php
- SASS Rules - http://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php
- Florida SASS Clubs
- Lake County Pistoleros- http://www.lakecountypistoleros.com/ Eustis, FL
- Doodle Hill Regulators- http://www.doodlehillregulators.com/ Ruskin, FL
- Fort White Cowboy Cavalary- http://www.fwcc.net/ Ft White, FL
- Ghost Town Gunslingers- http://www.ghosttowngunslingers.com/ St Augustine, FL
- Indian River Regulators- http://www.indianriverregulators.org/ Malabar, FL
- Cowford Regulators- http://www.cowfordregulators.com/ Jacksonville, FL
- Okeechobee Marshals- http://www.ockeechobeemarshals.com/ Okeechobee, FL